Wednesday 7 October 2009

Decent Jus for Lamb etc

I have another go at making a decent jus for a rack of Lamb last night (less strong than the red wine sauce) Basing the sauce on the principles that I used on a Beetroot sauce (A Keith Floyd marvel and I’’ll post after this!)

Mrs H was a happy and I must admit that I thought it was pretty good – considering that most of the time I am a little disappointed with my meat sauces, unless there is a fluke on the evening. One day I will have the time to boil up a load of veal bones!

Ingredients:

  • 1 shallot – finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped
  • 200ml of red wine
  • 500ml of decent lamb or beef stock
  • Fresh salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp of redcurrant jelly
  • 1 knob of slightly salted butter

In a frying pan, fry the shallots and garlic in the red wine until almost reduced to nothing (but still liquid) Then add the stock and butter and simmer again and reduce by a half. Remove from the heat and strain the mixture into a clean pan. Taste then season with salt and pepper and reduce further until the required consistency is achieved. If I have been searing the lam or beef in a pan, I will add the misture to the pan to deglaze the pan of the tasty bits! Any juices from the meat from resting or from the oven can be mixed in as well. Serve in a small boat or around the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

Print Friendly and PDF