This is one of those sauces that is a must when you are eating comfort food such as bangers and mash. No fancy bangers – just good quality pork ones and use Mozart variety potatoes for a lovely mash - don't forget plenty of butter!!
Ingredients (enough for 2 people)
- 50gms of butter (slightly salted)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- ½ tbps of plain flour
- 50ml of red wine (I use Cote du Rhone)
- 200ml of good beef stock
- ½ tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp of Colemans english mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste (careful with the salt)
Melt butter in a pan and then cook onions until soft. Reduce heat and cover. Cook until unions are brown which is about half an hour or so.
Stir in the flour can cook for a few minutes – stirring.
Add all of the other ingredients (except salt & pepper) and simmer for about 20 mins – stirring occasionally.
When done, season to taste.