Monday 30 March 2009

Steaks and being tired!

On Friday I really wanted a nice steak, red wine sauce and some mangetout. Its my sort of soul food, like chilli and cottage pie. (in fact I must post up my gran’s recipe for sausage and tomato pie!)

Well, I cooked the steak in butter and then let them rest in the oven. I prepped the sauce – wine, stock, salt pepper, red current jelly and then did the mash – desiree potatoes, plenty of butter and added ustard horseradish at the end. Well – it just about all failed – the steak was very tender but very blue. I put too much recurrant in the sauce and the wine, I think, had turned. The mash was lovely and then I spoilt it with the mustard etc. Amazingly the mangetout was perfect.

It had been a bad week and I was tired – so it showed in the meal. Jacqui was diplomatic and said she enjoyed it!

A photo of said meal! - an attempt to add some gloss to the blog. Could do better but at least it is a start! I can assure you it looks better than it tastes! 

Not wishing to have this black mark on my copy book, a re-trial was arranged for Sunday! 2 more steaks from the same fillet. We had Roseval potatoes (a new variety that look like charlotte potatoes but have a red skin), a different red wine sauce and French beans. Success!

(See the recipe for the sauce above this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

Print Friendly and PDF