Wednesday 8 July 2009

Monkfish with Crayfish Rissotto

I am still perfecting this. The Risotto is about there but the sauce…. Well I know what I want… but any suggestions welcome

Ingredients:

  • Risotto Rice
  • Knob of butter
  • 2 Shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • Glass of decent dry white wine
  • 500ml of quality fish stock
  • ½ Cup of chopped monkfish
  • ½ Cup of Crayfish tails
  • Sea Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
  • Freshly grated parmesan
  • For the sauce – TBA

The problem with this dish is getting a decent fish stock. If, like me, you are sometimes strapped for time I will use a pre-made stock. This time I tried buying fresh fish stock from Waitrose – it was dreadful – in fact I have sent a letter of complaint to Waitrose as it was so bad. So I ended up making my own! Use any recipe but add any offcuts from the monkfish to it. For this dish I use monkfish tails. In France it is possible to get baby monkfish tails – easy to fillet and cut up. The bones are ‘chucked’ into the stock. Fry the shallots in butter add garlic and when soft, add the rice and coat well. Add the wine and stir until absorbed. Then add the stock, a ladleful at a time until it is absorbed into the rice. The rice should still be firm when finished but not crunchy. Finally stir in the crayfish, monkfish and a couple of tablespoons of parmesan. Serve in the centre of the plate and pour sauce around the edge. You could even consider adding fresh cooked samphire to the top of the risotto mound!

The sauce I want is a lobster bisque type sauce but I am struggling to get it right at the moment. I will edit this post when it is done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

Print Friendly and PDF