Wednesday 19 January 2011

Review: Bocca di Lupo, Archer St, London, W1

We decided to meet up with our friend who lives in Covent Garden and her new best restaurant is this place. We got a last minute booking at the bar but when we got there it had been upgraded to a table at the back of the small dining area (probably the best table in the house if I was honest!) You are immediately impressed by the reception and atmosphere. It’s busy yet calm, light but not bright if that makes any sense! It was all looking promising. I had no preconceptions as to what the food was like and had read no reviews (but all were glowing allegedly) so I really had no idea what to expect. Many wines are sold by the glass or carafe and are good value. The house white was perfect.

The menu is quite small and in dimmed lights without the aid of any monocle (I left my sodding glasses at home) I could not make head not tale of the menu – no problem – the girls can order! And order they did. We shared the startes and mains and went for:

  • Shaved Radish, celeriac and pecorino salad with pomegranates and truffle oil
  • Deep fried artichoke a la giudia
  • Pasta – Orecchiette with ‘nduja (spicy sausage) red onion and fresh tomato

  • Roast suckling pig and grapes
  • Luganega – think pork sausage with nutmeg, cinnamon and clove

There are lots of options for small plates or large plates and so I remarked it was like an Italian version of a tapas bar. And in fact it is. I can’t really fault the food. It was fresh, enjoyable and above all unusual – certainly not your run of the mill Italian! Service was above average and apart from a mistake in ordering a rather expensive Chianti (mistake only being the price!!), the bill was very modest.

I shall be back and try and do the menu a little more justice only next time I will be armed with my reading glasses!!

1 comment:

Print

Print Friendly and PDF